Global EditionASIA 中文双语Français
Sports
Home / Sports

PSG signs World Cup winner Torres from Barca

Dutch league's young player of the year also heading to the French capital

Agencies | Updated: 2026-08-17 09:00
Share
Share - WeChat
Ferran Torres participates in training at Campus Du Paris Saint-Germain in Poissy, France, in preparation for his new side's French Champions' Trophy match against Lens on Saturday. [Photo/Agencies]

Spain international Ferran Torres, who scored the only goal in last month's World Cup final, signed for reigning European champion Paris Saint-Germain from Barcelona on Saturday.

The 26-year-old forward cost the Ligue 1 title-holder a reported 50 million euros ($58 million).

"Paris Saint-Germain is delighted to announce it has secured the services of Ferran Torres. The Spanish World Cup-winning forward has signed with the Club until 2031," read the club statement.

The former Valencia and Manchester City star is reunited with PSG coach Luis Enrique, who, during his time in charge of Spain, gave Torres his international debut in a Nations League match against Germany in 2020.

"It has been a transfer window with players leaving, and, right now, it is important to find this type of player and we want to continue improving ... We are always open to improving the team. That is our ambition," Enrique said.

Portugal forward Goncalo Ramos left PSG for AC Milan during the close season, after scoring 12 goals in 45 appearances.

"Everyone agrees it's important to make changes when a team is not performing, but to keep winning, you have to be willing to make tough decisions. You have to be ambitious," added Enrique.

"Ferran is a top-class international player, who we know really well," Enrique told the media on Saturday.

"I think he will adapt perfectly to what we want him to do. He is a player who can play anywhere in attack.

"We have players who have left, or are leaving, so it is important we find this type of player."

Torres, who also won Euro 2024 with Spain, said PSG had not lost its hunger for success, despite winning back-to-back Champions League titles.

"I'm delighted to be beginning a new adventure at such an ambitious club as Paris Saint-Germain," said Torres in the club statement.

"I'd like to thank president Nasser Al-Khelaifi, Luis Campos (PSG soccer advisor) and coach Enrique for giving me the opportunity to join the team, which I hope to help win as many trophies as possible."

Torres, who won three La Liga titles while at Barcelona, came on as a substitute in the World Cup final and scored in extra time to dash Argentina's hopes of retaining its title.

The forward scored 21 goals and provided three assists in 49 appearances across all competitions for Barca in its last campaign as the club retained its La Liga title.

He joined Barcelona from Man City in the 2022 January transfer window. Torres went on to score 65 times in 207 appearances for the Catalan giant, including in the Copa del Rey final victory against Real Madrid in 2025.

"The club would like to express its gratitude to Ferran Torres for his commitment over the last four-and-a-half seasons as a Blaugrana, and wishes him all the best for the next stage of his professional career," said Barcelona in a statement.

His arrival in the French capital may raise Premier League side Liverpool's hopes of signing PSG's 23-year-old winger Bradley Barcola, who sparkled for France at the World Cup.

The two clubs have been in discussions for weeks, with PSG's apparent asking price of around 150 million euros ($173 million) proving the stumbling block.

Alongside Barcola, Enrique has multiple options in attack, with Ballon d'Or winner Ousmane Dembele, Desire Doue, Khvicha Kvaratskhelia and new signing Maghnes Akliouche.

Dembele set up Doue for PSG's winner against Aston Villa in the UEFA Super Cup last Wednesday, after Kvaratskhelia had given PSG the lead in a 2-1 victory.

It's the first of a possible six trophies this season for PSG, which became the first team to win back-to-back Super Cup titles since Real Madrid (2016 and '17).

Godts from Ajax

As well as Torres from Spain, PSG has also signed Belgian left winger Mika Godts from Ajax on a five-year contract, the two-time European champion announced on Saturday.

The 21-year-old had a breakout season last year, scoring 17 goals and providing 12 assists in the Dutch league, where he was named young player of the year.

According to Ajax, the transfer fee was 55 million euros ($64 million), including bonuses.

Godts has been capped twice by Belgium, but missed out on a spot in its World Cup squad.

After coming through the academy at Genk, he signed for Ajax in 2023. Godts went on to make 115 appearances for Ajax in all competitions, totaling 54 goal involvements.

"I feel incredibly proud to be joining one of the best clubs in the world. I can't wait to pull on this shirt and experience the Parc des Princes and its supporters," Godts said in a statement on PSG's website.

PSG gets its Ligue 1 defense underway against Rennes this weekend.

Ferran Torres celebrates scoring his team's second goal during the Spanish league football match between FC Barcelona and Real Madrid CF at Camp Nou Stadium in Barcelona.[Photo/Agencies]

 


Most Popular

Highlights

What's Hot
Top
BACK TO THE TOP
English
Copyright 1994 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

Registration Number: 130349
FOLLOW US