xi's moments
Home | Middle East

Tankers pass strait as truce hopes revive

US and Iran exchange warnings over possible return to war amid fragile calm

By CUI HAIPEI in Dubai, UAE and JAN YUMUL in Hong Kong | China Daily Global | Updated: 2026-05-21 09:38

Two Chinese tankers laden with oil passed through the Strait of Hormuz on Wednesday, shipping data showed, brightening hopes that the regional conflict may soon be resolved despite the warring sides continuing to trade threats.

US President Donald Trump said on Tuesday the war would be over "very quickly" while Vice-President JD Vance talked up progress in negotiations with Iran about an agreement to end hostilities.

However, Israel's Kan TV reported that the United States and Israel have completed joint preparations for a possible resumption of military operations against Iran, citing a US security official.

"We're in a pretty good spot here," Vance told reporters, hours after Trump said he had come within an hour of ordering fresh strikes and gave Tehran "two or three days" to reach an agreement.

Vance, who negotiated with Iran in failed talks in Pakistan, added that Washington was "locked and loaded" to restart military strikes if no deal is reached.

In response, Iran's army spokesman Mohammad Akraminia warned that the Islamic republic would "open new fronts against" the US if the White House resumes its attacks. Iran's Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi said the US leadership was "calling a 'threat' a 'chance for peace'".

Iran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said early on Wednesday that Iranian forces had been confirmed as the first to down a US F-35 fighter jet, citing a US official report on aircraft combat losses.

"With lessons learned and knowledge we gained, a return to war will feature many more surprises," he said on social media.

The conflict, which began on Feb 28, has caused the worst disruptions to global energy supplies, blocking hundreds of tankers from leaving the Persian Gulf.

The two Chinese ships — among a handful of supertankers carrying Iraqi crude that have exited the gulf this month — passed through the narrow strait carrying around 4 million barrels of crude, according to data from London Stock Exchange Group and Kpler.

South Korean Foreign Minister Cho Hyun said on Wednesday that a South Korean-operated vessel carrying 2 million barrels of crude oil is also passing through the strait in coordination with Iranian authorities.

Oil prices eased on the positive signals, with the benchmark Brent crude falling to as low as $110.16 a barrel, before regaining much of its losses.

Trump had indefinitely extended the truce and made clear he wants to exit the war, which has proved to be a political liability with US people paying more at the pump and growing frustrated with the war.

The US Senate on Tuesday advanced a war powers resolution to halt the campaign unless Trump obtains congressional authorization. The move represented a distinct challenge to the Republican leader's executive authority, marking the first time the chamber voted in favor of the measure.

Despite the political significance of the vote, the resolution still needs a majority in the House of Representatives — after which it faces Trump's presidential veto — to take effect.

School attack update

Meanwhile, the US military again avoided taking responsibility for an attack on a school in Iran that killed about 170 people, mostly schoolchildren, on the first day of the war.

Brad Cooper, commander of US Central Command, told a congressional panel that the probe was "complex", claiming the school was located on an Iranian cruise missile base.

Hours after, Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei described the claim as a "baseless fabrication".

"Targeting an active educational institution during school hours constitutes a grave violation of international humanitarian law and is a clear war crime," he said on X.

In another development, Russia joined other United Nations Security Council members on Tuesday to condemn an unclaimed drone strike on the United Arab Emirates' Barakah Nuclear Power Plant, which Abu Dhabi said originated from Iraq.

The drone struck a generator on Sunday near the Arab world's first nuclear power plant, triggering a fire but causing no injuries or radiation leaks. The UAE Defense Ministry said on Tuesday its air defense systems had detected six drones from Iraq over the past 48 hours.

Agencies and Xinhua contributed to this story.

Global Edition
BACK TO THE TOP
Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

Registration Number: 130349