Global EditionASIA 中文双语Français
Sports
Home / Sports

Neymar gets the World Cup nod from Ancelotti

Agencies | Updated: 2026-05-20 10:05
Share
Share - WeChat
Santos' Neymar reacts during a Brazilian Championship match against Coritiba. [Photo/Agencies]

RIO DE JANEIRO — Neymar has been named in Brazil's squad for next month's World Cup, manager Carlo Ancelotti said on Monday, handing the forward a chance to return to international soccer's biggest stage after an injury-disrupted cycle.

The 34-year-old, Brazil's all-time leading scorer, comes back following a prolonged absence due to a series of injuries that have kept him out for much of the qualifying campaign, as the five-time champion pursues a record-extending sixth title.

As dozens of journalists gathered at Rio de Janeiro's Museum of Tomorrow for a ceremony featuring musical acts and celebrity guests, all eyes were on Ancelotti's decision whether or not to include Neymar in the squad.

The 66-year-old Italian, who took charge of Brazil's men's national team last year, had not previously called up the former Barcelona and Paris Saint-Germain player. He told reporters earlier this month that Neymar's inclusion would be based on fitness and form, not sentiment.

"We evaluated Neymar throughout the year and noticed that, recently, he has been playing consistently and has improved his physical condition," Ancelotti said at a news conference on Monday.

"He has the same role and responsibilities as everyone else, but he is an experienced player.

"It's true that in some positions we prioritized experience."

Neymar, who has 79 international goals, but has not featured for Brazil since 2023, has faced questions about his fitness and form following an injury-marred spell at Al Hilal and an underwhelming return to his boyhood club Santos last year.

The forward said on Sunday he was satisfied that he had done all he could to prove he was fully fit and deserved a place in the squad.

"Physically, I feel great. I've been improving with every game," he told reporters after Santos' 3-0 defeat to Coritiba.

The rest of Brazil's squad was largely retained from the qualifying campaign and recent friendlies, with the likes of Vinicius Junior, Raphinha, Matheus Cunha and Endrick shouldering the attacking duties alongside Neymar.

Real Madrid striker Rodrygo, defender Eder Militao and Chelsea winger Estevao were left out due to injuries. Chelsea forward Joao Pedro and midfielder Andrey Santos, who had been called up on previous occasions, also surprisingly missed the final squad.

"Some of the players who were with us this year won't be happy with this list. I'm sorry, and I want to thank everyone who was with us," Ancelotti said.

Brazil will open its World Cup campaign against Morocco on June 13 in New Jersey. It also faces Haiti and Scotland in Group C.

A Neymar lookalike poses for a photo before the announcement of Brazil's squad on Monday. [Photo/Agencies]

 

Most Popular

Highlights

What's Hot
Top
BACK TO THE TOP
English
Copyright 1994 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

Registration Number: 130349
FOLLOW US