Cuba warns US military action would cause 'bloodbath'
Updated: 2026-05-20 09:42
HAVANA — Cuba's President Miguel Diaz-Canel said on Monday that any US military action against Cuba would lead to a "bloodbath" with incalculable consequences for regional peace and stability.
"The threats of military aggression against Cuba by the world's most powerful country are well known," Diaz-Canel wrote on X. "Such threats already constitute an international crime."
Cuba "does not represent a threat, nor does it have aggressive plans or intentions against any country", he added.
Cuba is already suffering a "multidimensional aggression" by the United States and has the "absolute and legitimate right" to defend itself from any military action, he said.
The comments came after US outlet Axios reported on Sunday that Cuba had acquired more than 300 military drones and had discussed plans to use them to attack US targets, citing classified intelligence.
Havana said Washington was fabricating a case to justify potential military intervention.
Tensions between the two countries have risen sharply in recent days. The US government imposed sanctions on 11 Cuban officials on Monday, including the country's communications minister and several military leaders, and its main intelligence agency.
Washington had earlier imposed an oil blockade on Havana by threatening sanctions on countries supplying it with fuel.
Cuba has received no oil shipments since a Russian tanker delivered round 700,000 barrels — about two weeks' worth for the island country of 10 million people — in late March.
Diaz-Canel said on Monday that the US executive order that "pursues and threatens" third parties who wish to sell fuel to Cuba was "immoral, illegal and criminal".
Also on Monday, a ship laden with humanitarian aid from Mexico and Uruguay arrived in Havana to help ease the spiraling crises.
The ship, which departed from a Mexican port, includes personal hygiene items and 1,700 tons of grains, powdered milk and other food items, according to Cuban state media.
Cuba's food industry minister, Alberto Lopez Diaz, said the items arrive "at a time of great economic hardship".
Agencies - Xinhua





















